Award Winning Owners!
Co-owners of SERVPRO ® of Downriver, Randy Miller and Mike Snyder, were inducted into the 21st annual Junior Achievement Business Hall of Fame on May 3, 2018.
This award has is presented to individual’s with records of business achievement that demonstrates business excellence, courageous thinking and action, vision and innovation, inspiring leadership and community mindedness. In addition, nominees must serve as a role model for those who follow.
Starting in 1996, Randy Miller was an early pioneer to the mid-Michigan area SERVPRO system. Since then, the franchise system has grown to over 1700 individually owned and operated franchises. Originally, Randy started in Genesee County and expanded into Saginaw in 1997. Mike Snyder joined the company in 2000. Together, Randy and Mike have grown, acquired, and sold multiple territories throughout Michigan. With their headquarters here in Saginaw and an office in Romulus, they currently operate licenses in Saginaw, Bay City, Romulus, Taylor, Downriver, and Westland.
As one of SERVPRO’s prestigious Extreme Team franchises, a large portion of their business is providing support to other franchises-primarily on commercial losses, and traveling the country for catastrophic events such as floods, tornadoes and hurricanes.
SERVPRO clients include insurance companies seeking superior and timely restoration services, as well as commercial and residential property owners who require routine cleaning services. With more than 40 years of experience, the SERVPRO System’s time-tested techniques and proprietary cleaning products have earned SERVPRO Franchises a spot as a national leader in the restoration and cleaning industry.
SERVPRO of Downriver provides cleanup and restoration services following a fire, water or even mold-related damage. Additional services offered include: cleaning and restoration of specialty services, such as HVAC duct systems; building exteriors; electronic equipment, and documents that have sustained water damage.
Preventing commercial mold issues
Vigilance is key to preventing mold growth. A professional mold remediation company, like SERVPRO, can address mold issues in homes and businesses as well as help property owners. However, if mold growth does occur, SERVPRO should be called immediately to minimize any damage and stop the mold from spreading.
Increase the Heat
One way to prevent Auburn commercial mold from growing is to increase the heat. When the walls on a property are too cold, moisture particles in the air condensate, creating a damp film that leads to mold formation. In the summer, keep the thermostat on a low heat setting, and insulate the walls on the property.
Steam is a common cause of residential and commercial mold damage. To reduce steam, homeowners and business owners should:
• Do not allow standing water to sit in the sink or a drinking glass.
• Install and use an extractor fan in the bathroom to clear the steam after a hot shower or bath.
• Put wet clothes outside on a clothesline to dry instead of indoors.
• Run the ventilation fan on the range hood to suck up steam from liquids boiling on the stove top.
Maximize the Air Flow
An easy way to keep residential and commercial damage from the mold at bay is to open the windows and let cold air circulate inside the property. Open windows keep surfaces dry and push mold spores outdoors. To further increase the air flow and reduce hidden pockets of air, pull furniture away from walls. If mold is spotted behind furniture or curtains, SERVPRO can help eliminate it.
Other Mold Prevention Tips
There are other ways to prevent commercial damage and residential damage from mold. SERVPRO recommends that business owners and homeowners:
• Fix any leaks from dripping pipes and water overflows from eavestroughs.
• Keep the roof in good repair, especially if the roof is flat.
• Throw away mold damaged items such as books and rotting food.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
We live and work in this community too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO is close by and ready to help with your mold-damaged property. We are proud to be an active member of the community and want to pitch in and help make our community the best it can be.
When a major storm or event occurs, we can call upon our national network of 1,650 SERVPRO Franchises and special Disaster Recovery Teams if we need additional
Your restoration company
Mold is a hazard that can exist in a home for months or years before being detected. Although mold might seem harmless, it is not. It is something that most homeowners cannot deal with alone. Mold can destroy a house. It is important to know when you need to contact SERVPRO of Downriver.
Why You Cannot Ignore Mold in the Home
Some homeowners see mold on walls or baseboards and choose to ignore it. This is always a mistake. Mold can grow and slowly destroy the structure of the house. It can rot wood and drywall. It can decompose carpets. Downriver mold damage can make a home unlivable. Additionally, mold can cause respiratory problems and can even release mycotoxins that will harm anyone living in the house.
Removing Mold Yourself
It is tempting to think that you can deal with a Downriver mold problem yourself. This might be true if you see just a small amount on a non-porous surface like a metal fixture or a plastic bracket. Bleach can usually kill that mold. Unfortunately, if you spot mold, then there is likely much more on porous surfaces like your walls. It might even be hidden between the walls, under sinks or inside carpets. You do not want to rely on do-it-yourself solutions if you detect mold in your home.
When to Call SERVPRO
You should call a mold remediation company whenever you find a significant amount of mold in one place, or patches of mold spread throughout your house. A remediation company, like SERVPRO, will test your home for mold, seek out the source of the mold and then remove it. They can often repair or stop any Downriver mold damage. The company will be able to use special tools to find hidden mold in your home. They will remove the mold in a way so that spores are not redistributed into other rooms. It is always best to call SERVPRO when you find patches of mold in the house.
Preventative Actions to Take
After SERVPRO of Downriver finishes, you can do a few things to prevent future problems. Start by ensuring your house is well ventilated to remove excess moisture. Check your insulation since it acts as a moisture barrier. Maintain a good temperature so that the air is not overly humid. If you do experience humidity problems, then run a dehumidifier during the day. These actions can slow or prevent the growth of mold.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
We live and work in this community too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Downriver is close by and ready to help with your mold-damaged property. We are proud to be an active member of the Downriver community and want to pitch in and help make our community the best it can be.
When a major storm or event occurs, we can call upon our national network of 1,650 SERVPRO Franchises and special Disaster Recovery Teams if we need additional resources or personnel.
Don't wait until it's too late.
Fire accidents are dangerous and can lead to property damage and physical injuries. Soot and smoke are typically what causes property damage. Many homeowners struggle to decide whether they should move out and purchase a new home. However, it is important to note that a Downriver fire damage restoration company, like SERVPRO of Downriver, can restore your home to its original state and help you save money.
What Happens After A Fire Calamity?
Soot and smoke are produced in large quantities after a fire. This occurs when household items get burnt, and the smoke and soot that are released into the air and find somewhere to settle. The walls, carpet, and appliances are things that are typically affected by smoke and soot. They will start turning a yellow color and will eventually be destroyed by the smoke and soot. The items also make it difficult to remove odor.
Many homeowners think that they can handle fire damage on their own. However, it is best to call a professional to handle this job.
The Procedure For Restoring Home That Has Been Damaged By Fire
The main goal is to restore your home to its original state. The professionals at SERVPRO of Downriver will take the following steps to ensure that your home is restored:
A specialist will inspect your home to determine the extent of the fire damage. Structural damage and smoke damage are the major concerns. They will then decide the type of cleaning methods and products that they will use.
Protecting The Unaffected Areas
The professionals will need to protect the areas that were not damaged by the fire from damage.
Below are the two methods that professionals can use to perform restoration:
• Desiccant dry air moisture restoration- Professionals will use special tools to get rid of the excess moisture in your home.
• Vacuum Freeze Restoration- This is used for restoring books and photos.
The nature of the fire damage is what the professionals at SERVPRO of Downriver take into consideration when they are deciding which method to use. The specialists will also remove debris and any other materials that accumulated as the result of the damage. Items that are severely damaged will need to be replaced. Firefighters typically use a lot of water to put out the fire, and this creates excess moisture. Specialists will remove the excess water. The next step is soot removal followed by ash removal and deodorization. Additionally, this process will warrant the need for new painting.
Local SERVPRO Honored with National Award for Outstanding Performance
Local SERVPRO Honored with National Award for Outstanding Performance
SERVPRO®, an industry leader in disaster cleanup, restoration and remediation services, recognized Randy Miller and Michael Snyder, owners of SERVPRO of Saginaw/SERVPRO of Bay City with the Regency Legend Silver award for outstanding revenue performance in 2014. This award places SERVPRO of Saginaw/SERVPRO of Bay City as the second largest SERVPRO franchise in the United States out of nearly 1,700 franchises.
The Awards event took place at the company’s 46th Annual Convention, held at the Hyatt Regency Chicago. The event attracted a record-setting group of more than 2,700 Franchise owners and key employees.
“Winning this award requires a partnership between the dedicated team at SERVPRO of Saginaw/Bay City and our franchisor SERVPRO,” said Miller. “We contribute by working hard to earn the trust and respect of home and business owners in our community. SERVPRO backs us up by providing us with the tools, training, and knowledge to help us maintain our leadership position in our industry. Together, we are ready at a moment’s notice to step in with the highest level of professional assistance when disaster strikes.”
SERVPRO is an industry leader in disaster cleanup, restoration and remediation services. The convention program featured 54 workshop sessions covering 29 different topics along with a motivational keynote address by Jon Gordon. The focus of the program was to bring SERVPRO owners and key staff up-to-date on the most advanced disaster mitigation solutions available and to provide them with insights on building and maintaining successful businesses.
“On behalf of SERVPRO Industries, Inc., I congratulate all of our honorees on a successful year,” said SERVPRO Industries, Inc., Chief Executive Officer Sue Steen. “SERVPRO’s reputation as an industry leader in disaster cleanup is earned and enhanced each day by individuals like these. We are proud of both their contributions to their communities and their success as business people. Through events like our annual Convention, we continue to provide our dedicated business owners and team members with the latest industry and peer-group knowledge, innovative tools, and corporate updates to help them build their businesses and provide world-class service to their customers.”
Career Opportunities at SERVPRO of Downriver
Would you like a career that makes a difference? A place where you can be a HERO to people with damaged property? Apply today as a Production Cleaning Technician at SERVPRO of Downriver!
We are currently seeking candidates for a Production Cleaning Technician in our growing location. Experience is preferred, but we will train the right people. Required job tasks include:
· Respectful, empathetic, and courteous toward distressed customers with property damage
· Dependable, punctual, honest, and hard working
· Able to work independently and follow directions
· Physically able to perform manual labor such as climbing ladders, reaching overhead, carry or move 50+ lbs., and complete detailed deep cleaning
· Able to obtain a chauffeurs license
· Available after hours for rotating emergency service calls
· Must follow SERVPRO production guidelines
· Able to accomplish job tasks as assigned and meet customer needs
· Support crew chief and other production personnel as needed
· Clean and maintain vehicles, equipment, warehouse and office areas as needed
Potential candidates must undergo a drug test and background check.
Selling your home? Let us help!
Selling your home? We can help you get your interior up to par before you place it on market! You’ll be able to present your home in a way that attracts buyers and results in increased market value.
Here are some of the ways our team can clean your home:
Duct and HVAC System Cleaning
Air ducts can circulate odors and contaminants like mold and irritating dust throughout a home. We use a Portable Ventilation and Air Duct Cleaning System to examine duct work and make a clean sweep, removing years of dust and grime.
- Allergens and pet dander are reduced
- Offensive odors are eliminated
- Operating conditions and efficiency are improved
- Carpets, Upholstery, Drapes, and Blinds
- Ceilings, walls, and hard floors
Carpets and Upholstery Cleaning
- Bonnet Cleaning: A less aggressive method for short piled carpets.
- Hot Water Extraction: A deeper cleaning method for all carpet types.
- Deluxe Precondition and Rinse: Helps restore deeply soiled areas.
- Showcase Premier Cleaning: The most thorough cleaning method in the industry.
- Dry Cleaning: When color-fastness is an issue.
Call us at 734-285-3880 to learn more about our services.
Practice and Build Out Your Plans
Disasters don’t plan ahead. You Can. Every disaster plan should include an Emergency Financial First Aid Kit (EFFAK).
Here are more tips from SERVPRO of Downriver on how to practice and build out your plans in case of a disaster:
- Maintain emergency savings for use in case of an emergency
- Participate in an emergency drill
- Know how to access community resources (e.g., shelters, food banks)
- Maintain emergency savings in case of a disaster.
- Do you know how to access community resources where you live? Search online today.
- Make digital copies of important documents and save them on the cloud or a secure cell phone app in case disaster strikes.
- Have at least a one-week supply of medications.
- Flood insurance policies have a 30-day waiting period before they go into effect. Plan now for floods floodsmart.gov
- Give yourself financial peace of mind & create an emergency savings account that can be used in a crisis
- Financial prep tip: gather & store critical personal, household, & medical information for easy access during a disaster.
Make a Disaster Plan for Yourself, Family and Friends
Disasters don’t plan ahead. You Can. This week we are focusing on making a plan for yourself, family and your friends.
Make a plan today. Your family may not be together if a disaster strikes, so it is important to know which types of disasters could affect your area. Preparing the family for an emergency is as simple as a conversation over dinner. Here are some ideas from SERVPRO of Saginaw to get you started:
- Know how you’ll contact one another and reconnect if separated.
- Establish a family meeting place that’s familiar and easy to find.
- Download a group texting app so your entire family can keep in touch before, during & after an emergency.
- Practice evacuating in the car with your animals, so they’re more comfortable if you need to evacuate in an emergency.
- Consider downloading the Fema app with weather alerts for up to 5 locations: fema.gov/mobile-app
- Sign up for local emergency alerts in your area by searching online.
Keeping yourself, family and your friends safe is your first priority when disaster strikes. Be sure you have plan in place before disaster strikes. For more information on creating and implementing a Disaster Plan visit Ready.gov.
Is your North Carolina business ready for Hurricane Florence?
Water damage can strike your commercial property at any time. Water damage can sideline your business, regardless if the damage occurs from a major storm event or a broken water line. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when you have an emergency water event, we offer fast, 24 hour emergency services, 365 days per year.
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have the training, experience, and equipment to manage water and flooding damage. Whether you have a large water emergency or a small water damage event, they will respond quickly to mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project through to its completion.
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.