Fire Safety Plan For Your Home
SERVPRO can help you with the after effects from a fire and we can get your home back like nothing ever happened. More importantly, is the safety of your family should a fire happen to you.
There were an estimated 367,500 reported home structure fires and 2,745 associated civilian deaths in the United States in 2014 .
They say that your ability to get out depends on advance warning from smoke alarms and advance planning.
Fire can spread rapidly through your home, leaving you as little as one or two minutes to escape safely once the alarm sounds. A closed door may slow the spread of smoke, heat and fire.
Install smoke alarms in every sleeping room and outside each separate sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected. When one sounds, they all sound.
Before a fire happens, pull together everyone in your household and make a plan.
- Draw a map of your home. Show all doors and windows.
- Visit each room. Find two ways out.
- All windows and doors should open easily. You should be able to use them to get outside.
- Make sure your home has smoke alarms. Push the test button to make sure each alarm is working.
- Pick a meeting place outside. It should be in front of your home. Everyone will meet at the meeting place.
- Make sure your house or building number can be seen from the street.
- Talk about your plan with everyone in your home.
- Learn the emergency phone number for your fire department.
- Practice your home fire escape drill!